Thursday, January 30, 2014

What a mess...

This engine bay is a disaster since the past panel beaters didn't spend much time making sure the inside of the car looked ok. I am making slow progress straightening what I can and replacing what I can't get straight. I picked up a portable sand blasting rig today and did a quick test cleaning up the hard spots in the end of the cross member.
I got a great email today... My new radiator is on its way! More on that soon!!


Monday, January 27, 2014

Starting on the engine bay

I'm going to be in here for a while but I got a good start cleaning and grinding. I removed the cross arm and got it cleaned up a bit as I prepare to weld brackets to hold my new steering rack. The drivers inner fender is pretty rough (from the wreck the car was in...) and I went ahead and cut a section out since it is just easier then trying to straighten it. I have been slowly collecting the bits I need to make brackets for and will sort the layout as I go. 


Friday, January 24, 2014

Continuing Education

So it's been a busy week and I haven't had much time for the car. I did meet a fellow spider owner here in Naples and have gotten sidetracked investigating cam lift. He is rebuilding his engine and wants to replace the cams. When he started asking me questions I had to admit my ignorance and start studying up. So, I'm measuring cam shafts, reading Guy Crofts amazing book and learning what differences there are in the four sets I have on my bench.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Trunk cleaned up

I have been fitting the last bits in the trunk. Spot welded a new floor sections, sanded and cleaned everything and then painted it with rust inhibitor. Then I did all the seams with sealer and painted what will be exposed. I will use a rubberized coating over the seam sealer in the whole bottom area.



Monday, January 13, 2014

Spare tire

Since the 13" spare I have doesn't work with the big front brakes, I sourced a Fiat 500 rim. Tonight I welded up the bracket to mount it in the trunk. Yep, it takes up some room but between the package shelf behind the front seats and what's left of the trunk, I can stow two duffles. If I need more than that, I'll take my truck!!


Ok, got that done... No more moving it!

Finished patching in the old scoop and creating a new one. All blended in and primed. Now, on to the inside of the trunk area...


Saturday, January 11, 2014

Moving the exhaust scoop... Some more!

Yep, had to make the scoop a bit higher and cut out the rest of the trunk floor to raise the muffler. I will put a new floor in but it has to be about an inch higher to allow room for the muffler. Still working on adjustability in my brackets to be sure I can line the tailpipe up with the scoop when it goes back in. Plastic wire ties for now...



Wednesday, January 8, 2014

When I get going.... I'm a total slob!!



Moving the exhaust scoop

As I said before, with the new fuel cell, I have to relocate my exhaust a couple inches outboard. 
Oh, and make the scoop bigger to fit my big phat exhaust...

Fuel cell brackets

I finished up my fuel cell brackets and got the cell back in to check the fit. It will come back out so that the whole trunk area can be painted. 


Tuesday, January 7, 2014

While I'm sorting internals out back

I went ahead and sourced a rear muffler since I have to relocate the scoop in the lower rear panel. I want to be sure I have to right radius and height. The first thing I had to do was make some band clamps to hold the muffler up. I resorted to my boat building days and made the band clamps out of carbon fiber bi-directional tape with epoxy resin.
Tomorrow I will be able to clean them up and fit them to the underbody.



Monday, January 6, 2014

Not much time today

But I got the top brackets welded in for my fuel cell.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Fitting the fuel cell

Made good progress today fitting, grinding, and welding. Got the bottom frame in. Still need to weld in the top braces and fabricate straps. The fuel cell will install from under the car and be held up by two straps. There is a scoop in the back of the car for the tail pipe which I will have to move a bit outboard as this cell is wider than the stock fuel tank. More on that later...

Saturday, January 4, 2014

New fuel cell arrived

My old fuel tank was in a questionable state and at 11 gal (I believe) I wanted a bigger one.
I'm installing a 20 gal aluminum fuel cell in its place. The spare tire will go above it which will not leave a lot of cargo space but, seriously? Who cares??
Did a quick dry fit. I will post more about bracing and mounting the cell soon.


Liked the color match rims sooo

Lets try this...

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Diversion

Sometimes I'm an impatient child and couldn't wait any longer to see if my plan to color match the rims is going to look good. As with everything, I have gone in mental circles about what I want these to look like. Obviously, I like the process or I wouldn't be doing this...
So, I pulled one rim off the shelf and scuffed and painted it. And, yes! I like it!!


Cleaning up door jambs

With the exterior almost done, I'm starting on jambs, trunk, and then the engine bay. I've got a bit of repair to do to the lower hinge on the passengers door as well.