I now have a mess of lines drawn on the floor of the garage. I will get out my protractor tomorrow and transfer the whole mess to cad so I can check my Ackerman angle and attempt to calculate whether I will need to adjust anything. This is all a great learning experience for me and I hope I don't have to go too far backwards after tomorrow!!
Monday, February 24, 2014
I got home late but still found a little time it use my laser and do a cursory alignment. I then dropped all the lines to the floor with the laser, including a center line from ball joint to ball joint. I then turned the rack hard to the right, jacked up the drivers side assembly and lowered the passengers to simulate hard cornering and dropped the lines to the floor again. Then I did the same for the other direction.
Sunday, February 23, 2014
Today I finished my sway bar brackets and tacked them in place, cleaned up and mounted the sway bar and then started sorting out my adjustable end links. The stock fiat had a twisted bracket on the lower A arm with a rubber bushing in it. They are know to wear poorly and as I am using poly bushings on the frame mounts I wanted more flexibility at the outside ends. I have seen this done so I'm not completely flying by the seat of my pants!!
I also got the filler tube welded onto my fuel cell and then cleaned the whole garage!! What a nice place to work again!!
Friday, February 21, 2014
I'm continuing work on the engine bay and other front end tasks. Started sorting out the brackets for my sway bar, dropped the honeycomb grill in which I just received from my friend Steve, primed most of the engine bay ...
Sunday, February 16, 2014
Yep, I actually have a seat in the car to steer from... Just temporarily!
More important, I finished the link between steering rack and steering wheel. I had to modify the firewall to accept a carrier bearing for the steering shaft since I added a u-joint in the system. I used the steering shaft from an old steering box to run between the original steering column and the new u-joint on top of the steering rack. It's pretty exciting to spin the wheel and watch that rack go back and forth!!
This should be a major improvement on the original and I certainly hope so for the work it has been. I am truly enjoying the process!!
Saturday, February 15, 2014
That's what I'm up to! In the last few days I have been fitting engine bay parts, taking them back out, cutting, fitting, and putting stuff back in. I have my steering linkage connected but will remove it again tomorrow to weld in the carrier bearing at the firewall. The new radiator is in but will of course come back out, along with other engine bay stuff.
Monday, February 10, 2014
I've been working on cleaning up the engine bay. It is not going to be perfect but it will be clean and neat. I don't feel the need to kill myself trying to beat eveny dent into submission. I've gotten the sides looking pretty good but still have work to do on the front cross bits.
Saturday, February 8, 2014
I got a coat of paint on the cross member and put it back in the car, dropped the block back in with the bell housing and exhaust to see it I actually got the brackets in the right place. Everything fits!!!
Just keeping my fingers crossed on the steering geometry!
Wednesday, February 5, 2014
I've finished my steering rack brackets and seam welding the cross member. This should help stiffen things up a bit and take the load from the steering being attached the the cross member. Next... Sort out the linkage to the steering column.