Managed to get my fuel pump installed and ran the line up to the engine bay. Ordered clamps today so I will button it up when they get here.
Monday, April 28, 2014
Sunday, April 27, 2014
Had a very productive weekend rigging the engine bay and wiring the front end. My boy helped a lot this weekend and we got all the light pigtails wired, the headlight relay block rigged, the fog lights installed, the horns installed and wired, and the washer pump and fan wiring run. The cockpit is still a pile of spaghetti but the front is encouraging!!
Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Monday, April 21, 2014
With what time I had today I started installing my new wiring harness... Holy crap! What a daunting part of the project!! The easy part? I welded a bracket under the dash to mount my new fuse box. That done, I started sorting the mess of wires and thinking about what will be switched, and where, what will need relays, and what will need to get tied into my existing stuff like brake light switch, back up light switch, steering column cluster...
I did say I wanted new wiring, not 35 year old stuff, so it's time to live and learn!!
Sunday, April 20, 2014
I found what ever motivation I needed and finish the passengers fender and most of the hood. That's it for body work for a while. The plan is to put the car together, minus the exterior stuff. Then I can prime and fine tune the body work. I have decided to hold off on painting the car until it is rolling. So, I have any number of jobs to tackle... Wiring harness, rear suspension, finish the roll bar? I plan on assembling the engine, with the exhaust manifold and transmission on the cross member, then installing the whole package from the bottom. I want to do it this way since I have such tight clearances on my steering rack and exhaust. I will install the front suspension after the engine assembly is in place. Getting there!!
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
At least, I find it to be the nastiest part of this process. I said, some time ago, that scraping and cleaning the bottom of the car was going to be boring! I meant for you! For me, it was just crappy!!
I have been very busy with work but also plugging away, a little here and there and maybe that is what has made this bearable...
A little more paint and I am ready to start reassembling the bottom of the car. I should probably find the motivation to finish the body work on the front passengers fender and the hood before I really get carried away putting stuff back on the car.
Wednesday, April 9, 2014
That sounds special doesn't it? Tonight I reassembled my clutch, brake and gas petal assemblies and laid down most of my dynamat heat and sound barrier. I'm looking forward to keeping the engine heat out of the interior as much as possible.
Monday, April 7, 2014
Didn't I say a while back, a little bit every day? I've been trying to keep up with that again. Today I get the gas, brake and clutch pedal assemblies removed, cleaned up and painted. I welded one more patch in the floor and finished painting the rest of the under dash area. I'm getting so close to putting this car back together that I can taste it!! Maybe that taste is paint fumes...
Sunday, April 6, 2014
I managed to put the whole day into the car and finished repairing areas under the rear cross member. I got the front half welded back in coating the inside before I did. The paint makes for a bit more slatter when welding but I'm happy to have the whole thing coated inside. Then I reinstalled the plates that carry the front of the trailing arm bracket. I did put the bracket back on under the car so that the location was right on. After I painted the back section, I started working my way up the passengers foot well. There were a few bad spots along the outside of the seat rail so I cut the whole length out and replaced it. I had to weld that bit from the bottom and used seam sealer on the top. I got everything painted, again using Eastwood rust inhibitor just as an added measure. I also got the white spray bomb out and scuffed and coated part of the under dash area.
Saturday, April 5, 2014
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
I decided to leave the back half of the cross beam and just remove the front half. This way I have access to patch everything from the top but I don't lose any reference points to relocate when I'm done patching. I drilled all the spot welds, and I'll say Fiat was pretty helter skelter with the location!! What a pain!!
Anyway, it's out and I can get about cleaning it up!
Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Ok, it's not too bad but it does mean more work. With the car up in the air I cut one area of pin holes out and immediately changed directions. The cavity under the main cross beam is full of rust. I set the car back down and started attacking it from the top. I am debating drilling out all the spot welds on the cross beam and removing it so I can patch everything from the top and clean up the whole cavity. More on that soon...