Saturday, June 21, 2014

Sculpture

Another busy week at work and very little time for the car. I did get a couple tests done during the week with desert foam. This is the stuff used for dried flower arrangements. It's really cheap so I had to see if my epoxy resin would melt it or not. Good news!! It didn't melt!! The stuff is so easy to shape that some 80grit sandpaper will do the whole job. Today I went about fitting blocks of it to the top of my dash. Then I sanded the top into shape and put a layer of 4 oz cloth on it. When that kicked off enough, I flipped it over and put another layer of cloth on the bottom. I immediately set it back in place and weighted it so that it would hold its shape. Tomorrow it will be cured enough to have some strength and I will be able to fine tune the top and edges.