Thursday, July 31, 2014

Transmission bits...

I had a great day today making a mad dash to Groveland to see Beek. Another freind who I have met through the spider forum happened to be in town and we got to actually meet after months of banter on the forum. 
If the world was small before, the internet has only made it smaller, amazing! 
In any case, it was a great day rebuilding a transmission, trading stories with freinds and learning from people who know a great deal!! 
If I had tried this at home, I would have laid the parts out in a table in exactly the order they came off...
But not Beek, he just piles them up! Of course, he has disassembled and put back together so many of them that he knows where every piece of the puzzle goes. I can do the same with my flashlight so I don't feel so bad!! Haha!
Maybe someday I'll try one on my own but it sure feels good to have a pro handle some stuff!!


Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Day off

I'm taking the day off tomorrow and heading up the Orlando area to see Beek, mechanic, fiat guru, and current possessor of most of my engine. The plan is to rebuild one of the three transmissions I am taking with and bring back my block and other parts that he has worked on. 
Here are the before pictures:


Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Exhaust progress

Finally my muffler came in, after having to reorder it (did I say that already?) anyway, now that I have it I was able to fit the rest of the bits. I tack welded as I worked forward and then pulled the whole thing off and welded the seems complete. I will use a band clamp at both mufflers and between the flex joint and forward muffler, just to be able to install the system. Slow these days but at least a little progress.



Sunday, July 27, 2014

Exhaust header

Yesterday afternoon I cleaned up and welded my exhaust header and coated it with ceramic header paint. Today I reassembled it on my test engine and fit my heat shield. I also got my driveshaft up under the car and then started cleaning up that wheel I had painted white. Ok, that was a perfect example of my over zealous attitude... I thought I would be able to just scuff it with the rest of the rims and paint all four. I should have left it alone since now I am stripping the paint to refinish that rim... No fun at all and more work than I should have made for myself!! Sometimes I'm just too foolish!!


Saturday, July 26, 2014

Exhaust system

I started working on my exhaust system and had hoped to get fairly close today except my muffler, which was meant to arrive on Thursday, has yet to show up.... Grrr!!
I have cut the existing header and welded my new pipe to the end. I guess today I will clean and coat the rest of it. I also started fitting the rear section. More soon! Hopefully!!



Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Drive shaft

I managed to get my drive shaft all back together with new u-joints and carrier bearing. I have my center muffler and the rest of my exhaust parts on the way so that can all go on when I get my engine in. Randy, the one working on my engine parts, has been as busy as me but is getting close to finishing up so I'm getting excited to see this thing go down the road in the not too distant future. 

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Engine stand

Again, work has been crazy but I finally got some time this weekend to make some progress. I built a stand to assemble motor, transmission, steering rack, cross member, and exhaust in order to fit heat shields and verify spacing with the rack and the exhaust. I also cleaned up and painted all the pieces for my drive shaft so I can start reassembling it with new carrier bearing and u joints. 


Sunday, July 13, 2014

Fiat Freak Out weekend

Well, my goal was to have the car ready to make it to freak out this weekend...
I wish that had been possible but, no. There is always next year!!
Instead, here I am with two spiders and not a one worth showing off!

Slow getting back at it

We had a great vacation with lots of lobster, sailing and nice weather. 
It has taken a bit to catch up and get back to the car. I did have to do a bit more organization in he garage to combat the rainy season. 
Since it was the easiest to access, yep, no better reason than that, I started in on cleaning up the drivers door jamb. I finished welding the seem along the top of the rocker panel, sanded and primed the whole jamb. I have to do a little blending still.