In any case, I will order parts and rebuild the other one and swap it back into the car. It's always something...
Sunday, August 31, 2014
So I came home to a pool of gear oil under the 77 on Saturday and have now spent the weekend swapping rear ends. Luckily I had a spare out back. It makes noises that don't thrill me but at least it will get me to work tomorrow. Yep, Labor Day, time to labor! But, I can't take my truck as we are sneaking into an association where we are not allowed to work on holidays.
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Just a quick update...
Discount Tire had a blow out sale, no pun...
And I grabbed some new sneakers for the beast.
Which finally motivated me to clean up the rims. I decided on dark gray instead of white spokes and am very happy with the way they turned out.
Sunday, August 24, 2014
With my engine as far as it can go until I have a head, I finally stopped and cleaned up. I had two engines broken done, taking the best parts for the build so today I reassembled the remains of the other one so I don't lose parts in my messy crowded garage. I set that on a cart with another spare and rolled it under the shelf. Rest of the day went to organizing parts and cleaning. I also installed the recently arrived ignition bits in the engine bay.
Saturday, August 23, 2014
It has been an insane work schedule and only getting worse for a little while but, I have gotten a little done here and there and hit it hard again last night and today. I had some issues with my alternator belt alignment and had to drop some stuff at the machine shop for modification. I am pretty sure we have it sorted out at this point. With that issue resolved I got back to assembling my bottom end (the block and all it's internal bits). I am using rings from a company in Arizona called TotalSeal. The rings seal the piston all the way around instead of normal rings which have a gap. This will help seal the combustion chamber. The rings arrived on Thursday so I was able to get the bottom end buttoned up last night and today I bolted up the transmission and set the whole package on my cart. Then I was able to start assembling all the rest of the bits like starter, oil filter block, speedometer cable...
All in all, a great day and I love the way it looks and feel very confident about the mechanics. I haven't bored you with the details of torquing all the bolts properly etc, but rest assured, I am doing it!!
Monday, August 18, 2014
I managed to get my clutch all bolted up, my timing belt tensioner on and my new pistons mounted on the connecting rods. My rings should be here by Wednesday so hopefully I will be able to get the whole thing bolted to the transmission and on its cart over the weekend.
Sunday, August 17, 2014
Yep, I started...
First I painted my new freeze plugs and then installed the crank shaft with new bearings. Then the flywheel and on to the front of the motor. I got the auxiliary shaft in, the water pump, and the front main cover, all with new seals and gaskets. Very exciting day!!
Saturday, August 16, 2014
I have been managing a little time in the evenings and hit it hard again this afternoon. I did get the front suspension all back out, swapped the cross members and put everything back in. No issues with clearance on the new sway bar fittings so that worked out great. I also finished cleaning my engine block and got it painted. Then I loosely stuck some bits on it to see how it will look. Very exciting!!! Tomorrow, I will start building the engine. I don't have all the parts I need but I have plenty to clean and fit.
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
My kiddos came back today after being away for 6 weeks up in Maine so we are hanging and checking out pictures. They were very excited to see progress on the car so we did do a little bit. We checked clearance with a rim on the front against my new sway bar fittings. Not enough time today to do full analysis but I do need to put the steering rack in and see where the wheel actually stops turning.
I also picked up my engine block today, all bored out for new pistons.
Monday, August 11, 2014
Tonight I cut loose my lower brackets and tested a few different angles and positions. I finally got it sorted so that there is no binding within the full reach of the shock. The movement is very smooth so I am happy with it. I put the upper A arm and spindle in just to make sure that it all worked properly. This will all come back out as I am testing on a temporary cross member and the front suspension can not be in the car while I install my engine/transmission assembly.
Sunday, August 10, 2014
A while ago I cleaned up and painted the front sway bay. I messed up the angle of my new fittings and had to cut them loose today. With the lower a arms temporarily installed I was able to make the changes and get it all back together. Still one problem... I have a binding issue when the suspension is pushed up, so I will have to change the brackets on the lower control arm and rotate my heim joints (the silver parts connecting the yellow and black) so that the bottom is rotated 90 degrees.